Saturday, April 6, 2013

Two Widows

For seven days and six nights, with my husband's blessing, I spent time with two widows in Williamsburg, VA. One of the widows is my 75 year old mother-in-law who lives with my husband and I and the other is her 80 year old friend. I will refer to them in this blog as N for my mother-in-law and T for her friend; the initials of their first name.

I have never been to Williamsburg, a very historical city. T owns a timeshare and has not been here in five years. Her children will not let her drive more than a ten mile radius from her own home due to health concerns. She shared with N that she would love to go to Williamsburg but could not drive. She wondered if N could go with her if they could find a friend who could drive. Well N suggested I might be able to go and would probably love to go but she would have to check with me and her son.

The trip was educational for all the things previously learned in elementary history, it was enlightening to hear these two ladies share of their own memories of their lives when they were young, married, raising children and holding jobs.

I would encourage more people to spend time with our elders for an enriching experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment