Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Lost Art

In a report published by Forbes - June 2005 "greeting cards could be found in about 100,000 retail outlets in the U.S. and approximately 7 billion greeting cards are sold each year." Back then they estimated the average household buys 30 individual cards a year.

With the advances in technology many people make their own cards or just send an electronic card on special occasions. There are some dear friends and family members who still send cards. It really is a lost art because to me it takes time to go to the store and pick out that perfect card and then hand write a personal message. Receiving a card in the mail is uplifting. It is more special when it arrives on a "no occasion day".

Over the years I have saved many cards. Sometimes I pull them out of a drawer and re-read them and some I have not opened since I first read them. Those are the cards I received after my mom died. The words penned in those cards provided such healing to my spirit but somehow re-reading them invokes a memory I don't want to resurrect.

I've purchased several packages of blank cards at a dollar store that I plan to write a word to a friend in need of encouragement. Would you do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment