Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tracing My Family Roots

If you read my very first blog you will remember I mentioned taking a trip to Cherokee, NC - an Indian reservation.


During the early years of my marriage I began creating a family tree. I started hitting dead ends on my mother's side of the family. You know there were reports of fires in various states over time, or that unique spelling of the last name changed by one letter or the census taker did not write it down correctly. 


I also heard a story that "Indian blood" runs in my paternal side of the family but I could not find a thing. A couple of days ago my brother shared that he joined http://www.ancestry.com. This is a fee for service group where he has created his family tree. I was able to provide him some information and he found on their site U.S. Census Records from the early 1900's that lists some of our parent's lineage and other intriguing stuff.


Would you believe it! I found the Indian relative. She married into my father's side of the family when she was 14 years old! She married a 22 year old. She lived in the home with her father-in-law - according to the census record. Her birth place was in Tennessee but was relocated to Oklahoma and later married and moved to Georgia. From the census record I assume she did not know her birth parents because she listed their birth place as unknown.


This was a WOW moment for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment