Sunday, June 19, 2011

Remembering Dad

All dads work hard to provide for their families. They rarely take time out for themselves but rather think of the members in their family, about creating memories that will last a lifetime.

The following is a treasured memory my husband shared that I felt was really worth sharing today!

My father worked a number of years at Borden’s Dairy. He worked long hours and hard days. My little sister was having a birthday party and my Dad asked if he could have the day off to spend at his daughter’s party. He was told “no.” So he made the decision to choose the birthday party instead of continuing to work at Borden’s. I believe he had to choose between the world’s best (a secure job) or God’s best (investing in his family). I’m glad he chose God’s best.

We often hear we need to choose between the good and the best, but I believe the choice is often between the world’s best and God’s best. If you have not read the story of William Borden, I suggest you read it. You can find it at this website, http://www.thetravelingteam.org/node/400. William was born in 1887 and was an heir to the family fortune. William was educated at Yale University. After high school graduation his parents gave him a trip around the world. This is where he felt God’s call to the mission field to win the Muslim people to the Lord. He spent time in Egypt learning the Arabic language in preparation for his ministry to Muslims. It was there that he caught spinal meningitis. William died one month later and was buried in Cairo. He was twenty-five years old. Found written in his Bible was written these three phrases: “No reserves. No retreats. No regrets.” 

- by Tim Chavel

No comments:

Post a Comment